Firefighters manage to keep fire from spreading to businesses

Firefighters manage to keep fire from spreading to businesses
BOISE, Idaho (KBOI) – A small fire caused a scare for a handful of businesses on North Milwaukee Street Thursday morning. It happened just before 2 a.m. at the UPS Store on Fairview Avenue and Milwaukee Street.

“We did have a fire at the UPS store that smoked out the occupancy and the adjacent business,” said Boise Fire Chief Aaron Hummel.

It took fire crews 45 minutes to put out the fire, but they did have to break down the doors to the UPS store, the Oreck Vacuums, and the Prints Plus Poster and Frames Store next door. (Photos from the Scene >>>)

“Anytime we have a situation like this, where the potential for the fire to spread to an entire row, I call for a second alarm ... so we had a total of six engines and two ladder trucks here,” Hummel said.

Firefighters say the fire was caused by the bathroom fan in the back of the UPS store. The fan was left on during the night and then overheated.

Boise Fire Department told KBOI, that fires from bathroom fans happen pretty often, and the best thing to do is turn off the fan as soon as you are done.