Compressor caused fire on Sun Valley ski area

Compressor caused fire on Sun Valley ski area
Photo courtesy Sun Valley Resort
KETCHUM, Idaho (AP) — Fire investigators in central Idaho say a malfunctioning compressor that's part of Sun Valley Resort's snowmaking system caused a fire that destroyed the top terminal of a rarely used chairlift.

The Ketchum Fire Department completed the investigation Thursday and says the Feb. 1 fire on Bald Mountain intensified with leaking oil from the compressor and destroyed the building at the top of the Flying Squirrel lift.

The fire also partially destroyed a communications building and knocked out cellphone service to the Warm Springs area and some areas farther north.

Officials didn't give an estimate on the cost of the damage. No one was injured.