Girlfriend: 'When I woke up in the morning I couldn't wake him'

Girlfriend: 'When I woke up in the morning I couldn't wake him' »Play Video

MERIDIAN, Idaho (KBOI) - An 18-year-old Marine on leave died from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning over the weekend.

Meridian Police says the Marine, identified by family as McQuen Forbush, died on Saturday.

Meridian PD told KBOI-TV that Forbush was found unresponsive by girlfriend Bre Halowell Saturday in an apartment complex off of Overland at about 12:45 p.m.

Halowell told KBOI-TV on Monday that she and McQuen stayed up late watching movies the night before. The two both started complaining of dizziness and had trouble getting around in the apartment.

"I asked him if he was OK and he said 'I'm fine - I'm just dizzy,'" Halowell said. "It didn't trigger in my mind that something was wrong."

Halowell and Forbush fell asleep.

"When I woke up in the morning, I couldn't wake him," she said.

When emergency responders arrived at the apartment, they found Halowell performing CPR on Forbush.

"Please keep McQuen, Bre, and the families in your prayers," a posting on the family's Facebook page dedicated to the Marine stated.

His girlfriend was transported to the hospital but was later released, according to the Facebook page. The page says the water heater malfunctioned in the bedroom he was sleeping in. The Ada County Coroner's Office has yet to release the official cause of death.

A candlelight vigil for McQuen will be held at 2007 S. Churchill Drive in Nampa today at 5:30 p.m.

"Everyone is invited," the Facebook post states. "Please come and show support for his mother. Spread the word."

Hundreds of Americans die every year due to Carbon Monoxide poisoning.