Wash. Boy, 12, loses part of hand in July 4 fireworks blast

Wash. Boy, 12, loses part of hand in July 4 fireworks blast »Play Video

MARYSVILLE, Wash. -- A 12-year old Marysville boy is recovering after fireworks blew up in his hand on Independence Day, his family said Monday.

Koll McMillan was at a 4th of July party in Granite Falls Thursday evening when an adult asked him to hold a lit Roman candle, said Sean McMillan, Koll's father. The boy held it in it his left hand, where it exploded.

"You can't un-see it. You can't un-hear it," Sean said, wiping tears from his face. "An inch higher or an inch lower, this could've been debilitating for the rest of his life."

"(I just hear it) over and over again in my head. The screams -- I think those are the worst," added Koll's sister, Raegan Tregoning. "It's not something that you just see on the news. It's definitely real. And it definitely does affect a whole family."

Koll was rushed to Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett and then to Harborview Medical Center. Doctors were not able to reattach the pinky finger, but were able to salvage most of Koll's hand, his father said.

A total of 49 people were treated at Harborview for fireworks-related injuries over the long holiday weekend, said Susan Gregg, a hospital spokeswoman.

Koll was expected to be released from the hospital Monday, but likely faces 6-12 months of physical therapy, his family said.

"My tragedy shouldn't keep other people from enjoying their weekend, but please read the warning on the firework," Sean said. "It says, 'do not hold in your hand. Bury in the sand and light.'"

"A faulty firework from 20 feet away is, 'oh, wow, a faulty firework,'" Sean continued, "(but) a faulty firework in your child's hand is going to change your life. That's the most important message for parents."