My name is Billy Armer and in 1995 at age 41, I had my first of seven heart attacks. I was taken to the Rogers Arkansas Hospital in Rogers, Arkansas where. I received a single vessel bypass with a graft from my breast artery. A year later the bypass collapsed and I had a second heart attack. My doctor placed a stent in the artery and I returned to work only to experience a third heart attack just six months later. I would be in 1997 and I was given two more medicated stents. In 1998 I had heart attack number four and was once again hospitalized in Springdale, Arkansas and given even more stents. I returned to my work but because of the severe amount of heart damage I was unable to continue driving the semi and accepted a different job as a company guard. My options are getting fewer and I believe my days are truly numbered. I have been blessed to even be alive at this point. Two months later, heart attack five happens. This time I am really barely hanging on. I am aware the odds of someone surviving one or two heart attacks are slim enough, but surviving number 5? At this time I could not walk over 50 feet without having to take a break to sit down to rest but I still had the feeling that someone upstairs was looking out for me. The doctor taking care of me explained that I had very little blood to my brain and to my other organs and that I was very lucky to even be alive. On a personal note: My company fired me, as I could no longer remember how to do my job. In early 2008 I have been a long-time listener of the George Noory Show on Coast to Coast AM radio and one night in 2007 George’s guest was Christian Wilde and he was talking about how stem cells for the first time in history, can actually rejuvenate a damaged heart! I knew I had to get through to George. When I told him that at that time, I had had a total of five heart attacks, George asked his producer Tom, to take my phone number and ask Christian if he would call me after the show. I did receive the call and Christian said he would do everything he could to try and help me get a treatment in a trial that might possibly prolong my life. Prior to this night I had no hope but I am still destined for more heart attacks! Heart attack number six happens in early 2008 but this one, fortunately, is a mild one. Complicating the situation I now had a new diagnosis of diabetes. Now move forward to mid 2008 when I have my seventh heart attack and this time the doctors told me there was no possibility of receiving any more stents. I was fortunate that they were able to actually vacuum out the plaque blockage but in the process, the obstructed vein collapsed. I had been lucky until this point but now believed I was truly out of options and was definitely putting my house in order. I can’t tell you how my spirits were lifted when Christian called me and said he had not forgotten his promise to try and help me and asked if I could fly to Salt Lake City to meet a world-class pioneer stem cell surgeon and that if anyone could do something outside the box to save me, it would be his friend, Dr. Amit Patel, Director of Cardiovascular Regenerative Medicine and Associate Professor of Surgery at the University of Utah. I was short of funds from not being able to work so the LDS Church helped me buy my plane ticket and I was on my way to see Dr. Patel. After a careful examination he very confidently told me, “Billy, I think I can fix you.” He scheduled the procedure for December of 2008. The rest is history. A month later I was back in Salt Lake but this time I was doing even worse than before. I was on oxygen, my weight was up and I no color to my skin. Dr. Patel performed a (Transmyocardial Laser Revascularization) TMR but in my case adding my own bone marrow stem cells). As Christian later explained to me Dr. Patel had used the laser to burn tiny channels collateral arteries bypassing my blocked arteries that could not have received any more stents. Before I left for Utah, I remember leaving a message on Christian’s answering service thanking him and told him that if I didn’t survive the surgery, I would see him in heaven! This was the first time this particular procedure would be done. Three months after the surgery I was doing better. I was off the oxygen, with color returning to my face and having a definite increase in my energy level. Dr. Patel was very happy with my results and told me he didn’t need to see me for another year. When I flew back to Salt Lake City in January of 2010 what a difference! I could walk and I could run and was now able to lose weight like other people. Here I am running on my treadmill doing a 15-minute mile without stopping. Thanks to George, Christian and Dr Patel, I owe them my life. Thank you;
Billy Armer age 53 and a survivor of seven heart attacks.

This story is inappropriate and should be flagged for moderation. Please choose from one of the following options:

Add a comment


Comment: 250 Characters Left

KBOI 2 News and its affiliated companies are not responsible for the content of comments posted or for anything arising out of use of the above comments or other interaction among the users. We reserve the right to screen, refuse to post, remove or edit user-generated content at any time and for any or no reason in our absolute and sole discretion without prior notice, although we have no duty to do so or to monitor any Public Forum.