PORTLAND, Ore. – Gov. John Kitzhaber’s staff hastily ended his scheduled one-on-one interview with KATU News on Thursday morning barely four minutes after it had begun when KATU began asking about problems with Cover Oregon's website.
>>Watch the interview
Kitzhaber was in Portland to discuss Cover Oregon’s new enrollment numbers even as he admitted the exchange’s costly and all-important website will likely not be functioning for the foreseeable future.
Despite the website’s disastrous launch – it was set to go live Oct. 1 – and KATU's numerous reports of botched enrollments, Kitzhaber claimed Cover Oregon is actually outperforming expectations.
“We figured that this would be a two-year process,” Kitzhaber said. “What we didn’t anticipate was actually this many (people enrolling).
“We thought it was going to take a year to get the 114,000 people who are eligible for the expansion under the (Affordable Care Act), so that was remarkable.”
The interview was cut short, however, soon after KATU asked about Kitzhaber’s knowledge of problems with Carolyn Lawson. Lawson, who as Chief Information Officer was responsible for the website’s technical development, resigned for “personal reasons” in November.
The governor claimed he didn’t know of problems with Lawson until late last year.
But in December 2012, Rep. Patrick Sheehan sent an email to the governor’s office that KATU's Investigators recently unearthed.
The email questioned Lawson’s decision-making, accused her of presenting fraudulent testimony in a legislative hearing and speculated about her ties to Oracle, the company paid tens of millions of dollars to help with the project’s technical aspects.
Kitzhaber denied having seen the email, despite his legislative director having responded “You have raised some serious allegations, and I will make sure that we get his into the right hands in addition to the Governor.”
Kitzhaber told KATU on Thursday that the allegations never made it to his desk.
“In late October was when I first learned about the problems,” Kitzhaber said. “I had (the email) come to my office, but I didn’t see it.”
After Kitzhaber gave that answer, his aid immediately limited KATU to one more question.
A staff member from the governor's office called KATU on Thursday afternoon to say the interview was cut short for time, not because of tough questions, and that the governor was merely trying to stay on schedule.
KATU’s attempt to interview Cover Oregon Project Manager Bruce Goldberg was also thwarted. When approached by KATU, Goldberg quickly ducked into a restricted area.
His staff ordered KATU to leave, suggesting our crew instead make a phone call to Cover Oregon’s public-relations staff.
Later in the day, KATU tracked down Goldberg at a Cover Oregon board meeting and spoke to him exclusively.
Bruce Goldberg Interview: Oregonians should get an apology
In that interview, Goldberg confirmed to KATU in previous emails that he was aware of the some of the problems related to Oracle. So why didn't Cover Oregon cut its losses?
"I think at this point, as you've seen, states have been working for several years to get to where they are and so we're close and we're using parts of the technology and we're hoping that over the coming weeks we can get the website up and operational," Goldberg said.
But that would still be too late for the thousands of Oregonians who submitted applications in time for coverage this month – applications that have been caught in the massive processing backlog. The earliest they can get coverage now is Feb. 1.
The On Your Side Investigators asked if Goldberg felt Oregonians were deserving of an apology.
"I do," Goldberg said. "I've publicly said that we are not happy with where we are. Certainly, I've apologized to individuals to take responsibility for fixing this and turning it around."
With no deadline in sight, what happens if Cover Oregon can't get the website to function by the end of March, the deadline for open enrollment?
"Right now we're able to use portions of the website and portions of the technology to enroll people," Goldberg said. "We've enrolled 50,000 people through our process so we think we have the ability to continue to enroll people through open enrollment."
KATU reached out to Oracle but it did not return messages.
On Your Side Investigator Chelsea Kopta contributed to this report.
Full coverage of the troubled Cover Oregon website:
- Cover Oregon applications left in limbo?
- Man with cancer waiting on Cover Oregon, gets insured
- Man with cancer still waiting on Cover Oregon
- New calls for Cover Oregon to take responsibility for project failures
- Rocky King, director of troubled Cover Oregon, resigns
- Salem man says Cover Oregon error left him in health care limbo
- Some question if they'll be covered by Cover Oregon in the new year
- What doomed Cover Oregon? 'Mismanagement,' say former employees
- After resigning, Lawson not talking about Cover Oregon website failures
- Ore. health official in charge of building Cover Oregon website resigns
- Fewer enrollments challenge Oregon exchange budget
- Executive director of Cover Oregon taking medical leave
- Cover Oregon considers new solutions
- Kitzhaber calls for independent review of Cover Oregon
- New emails show Cover Oregon unraveling in days before launch
- Emails: Cover Oregon executive knew about website problems in May